Depending on the type of material it’s made from, beverage containers become a range of other items. Some simply become another beverage container and others can potentially be made into clothing, carpeting, and even fiberglass insulation for your home.

Aluminum Cans

Aluminum Cans are recycled right back into new aluminum cans. The process of recycling used aluminum containers and turning them into new consumable beverage containers takes less than 60 days. 95 – 99% of aluminum weight shipped is recycled, with the remainder being wire, strapping, moisture and contaminants.

Clear Plastic Containers

Clear PET (polyethylene terephthalate – a thermoplastic polymer resin of the plastic and polyester family) containers are recycled into flakes or pellets for use in the manufacture of new food grade beverage containers and clothing.

Coloured Plastic Containers

Coloured PET containers or those made from High Density Polyethylene (HDPE). Containers are recycled into pellets for use in the manufacture of new non-food plastic products. 

Glass Containers

Glass containers are crushed and the glass is formed into tiny glass beads. In Alberta, the glass is spun into thin strings and is recycled into fiberglass insulation. In other parts of the world, the glass may be put into a mix used for sandblasting material or added to street paint (clear glass only) to make it more reflective. 96.75% of glass containers are recycled with only 3.25% unusable.

Tetra Brik Containers

Tetra Brik containers (part of the Polycoat group) are made up of three material types: paper, aluminum and plastic. Each container goes through a hydro-pulping process that separates the three different material types. 80% of Tetra Brik is extracted into fibres or paper pulp and is recycled into other paper products. The remaining 20% of the aluminum and plastic materials are also recycled.

Gable Top Cartons

Gable Top cartons (part of the Polycoat group) are separated into two material types: paper and plastic. The containers go through a hydro-pulping process to separate the different material types. This results in 80% of the paper pulp being recycled into paper products such as bath tissue, cardboard and writing paper.

Bi-Metal Beverage Containers

Bi-Metal beverage containers are smelted down for recycling into construction re-bar, car parts, and grinding rods for mining. 95% of bi-metal is recycled with only 5% being unusable.

Drinking Pouches & Bag-in-a-Box

Drinking pouches and Bag-in-a-Box bladders are used for energy recovery through gasification (incineration) due to scarce end-use markets. Boxes from Bag-In-A-Box style containers are fairly coarse, and are recycled into coarse paper objects like cardboard boxes.